Sunday, December 20, 2009

Christmas Treats: Nalysnyky [Crepes]

Tis the week before Christmas, and all through my house, Mommy is frantically baking!!! Cookies and cakes, and other traditional treats all need to be finished...well yesterday. So I thought that this week I would multi-task and share some recipes on my blog while I bake them.

For the last few years we've been trying to establish a breakfast tradition. I've been making a "Puff Pancake" that I really enjoy...but James, not so much. So this year we are going to substitute a recipe I've been making for a few years. Its a Ukrainian pancake, Nalysnykys. Traditionally you would cook up the crepes and fill them with a savory dry cottage cream mixture. You roll them up and then warm them through in the oven. Yum! But the actual mixture is fantastic for crepes. Here's what you do:




Nalysnyky
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 1/2 cups milk
  • 1/4 t salt
  • 1 T sugar
  • 1 cup  flour
  • 1 T melted butter
Beat the eggs, add sugar, salt, butter, milk and dry ingredients. Mix like pancakes (the batter should be VERY thin). Heat a non stick pan to med-med/hi.




Pour about 1/3 cup of batter onto the pan
and then quickly spread the batter ( i just use a spatula) using a circular motion until you have covered the pan with one thin crepe. Let cook until top side is nearly cooked through (45-60 seconds), and then flip.



 Let cook 20-30 seconds until back side is finished (it will not brown).
It takes a few tries to get a feel for the timing, but once you do these could not be easier to make.


 

Fill them with fruit (i love a nice apple sauce) or just eat the with syrup. ENJOY!!!
*note* Please forgive the plate :) Its one of the "extras", I think it was my Grandma Rose's circa 1991

No comments:

Post a Comment