Thursday, February 18, 2010

Small Things

We take a lot of things for granted. Think back to our grandparents generation, washing laundry by hand, hanging to dry, boiling water for baths and dishes, yes we lead a comfortable life.

Our dishwasher broke down some time in November. It is the third time we've had to repair it in the five years we've owned it, and this time it was pricey. To fix the pump that broke would be $250. Ouch. When a new one is only $600 it seemed a waste to fix this one. I wanted a new one. James wanted to just fix it and save the money. So we waited, and weighed out pros and cons, and time passed.Something else was always more important, always the priority.

So for the past four months I've been handwashing all our dishes, and it never ceases to amaze me at the volume of dishes four people use on a daily basis. I remember as a kid my mom washing our dishes. The water was scalding! My fingers were burnt just thinking about touching the water and yet my mom was completely immune to the heat.

Well, after four months of perpetual dish washing, I've acquired those dishpan hands. And I'm not happy.

Dishwashing has become a large part of my day. I literally spend hours each day washing and drying dishes. And as soon as I've cleared that sink the very moment I've drained the last drop of water, someone will throw a new dirty dish into the sink. (Boo-hoo I know, my life is hard). So yesterday, FINALLY, we got the dishwasher fixed, and I am so thrilled.

Today I made lunch, and we ate and it was CLEAN. No half hour dish washing marathon, just threw everything into the dishwasher and off it went. *Sigh* I will never take it for granted again! Small things.

No comments:

Post a Comment