Monday, February 8, 2010

Selective Hearing?

Is it February already? Feels like that last few weeks have just been a blur. With playdates and school, swimming and church, we are always on the go. K is just abuzz with energy. From the minute he wakes to when he finally goes to bed, he is at a constant level ten. He's always so busy that most days I spend a huge chunk of my time repeating myself. "K, inside voice" "K, let's talk a little quieter", "K, stop yelling" "K...". We've had his hearing checked, I know he possesses the physical ability to interpret sound, but I think there is definatly a deficit, a "Selective Hearing" issue.

It may be genetic, his father possesses it too.

Today K is having a playdate with our neighbours little guy. They get along great, but if I think its crazy with just K, the energy level with a buddy is off the charts. They run, and shriek, play monsters and shout. When their caught up in their games, the selective hearing issue is more prominent than usual.

I was ease-dropping as they played on the stairs. K had gone upstairs and grabbed the story we read last night before bed. I use the term "read" quite loosely, because K's attention was really not on the book. In fact his inability to sit still for more than 5 seconds at a time had me seriously considering the possibility of ADHD. He was asking questions (unrelated to the story), telling random Thomas facts, wiggling adn wriggling, frankly I thought that I was reading for my own sake. But low and behold, today on the stairs, I listened to him recite the story to his friend, and very closely to how I had read it the night before. He even sang the song.

So it seems that perhaps he's not got a hearing deficit, or even ADHD. Perhaps he is actually an incredible multi-tasker. Either way, it was fantastic to realize that even in those moments when it seems I am talking to myself, it seems he is actually listening and (gasp) learning.

Very cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment