Monday, March 8, 2010

The (other) Ring (aka. K to the Rescue)

What is wrong with me?


Yesterday we had a busy day. We had church first thing, then two showings, dinner at mom's, and offer on the house...it was crazy. It started out feeling rushed.

8:00am: Up, shower, get kids and us dressed.
8:30am: Everyone in truck, drive to church
11:00am: Service finished, back home to clean
11:30am: Feed kidlets
11:45am: Kidlets to playground while Jimmy cleans up
12:30pm: Out of house for showings, Realtors calls with counteroffer on house (this has been in negotiation since Saturday at 2pm)
1:00pm: Out to Cochrane with dogs and boys in tow to check out spec home
3:00pm: Negotiating with Realtors
3:30pm: Dinner at Nana and Pops
4:30pm: Home to sign contracts on our house....but
4:45pm: Problem with deal, realtors go to fix...we wait
5:45pm: Problems fixed, contract signed
6:30pm: My engagement ring is lost


All the excitement about the home  selling comes to an abrupt halt when I realise I have lost my engagement ring...and possibly my mind.

Since the house is on the market we had taken all my nice jewellery out of the house with the exception of my engagement ring, which is all I wear now since I nearly lost a finger due to my absent mindedness. I don't really take it off unless I'm showering or doing dirty work, which I did on Saturday night. I was working with chicken and I took it off not wanting to get it full of chicken slime. I didn't even realize I hadn't put it back on until mid afternoon.

James had cleaned the house, and he hadn't remembered seeing it. And I didn't remember putting it back on after the chicken mess. So I'm panicking. I have gone through drawers, dug through garbage bags with chicken guts (gagging all the way), crawled on the floors, looked in pockets, and in laundry piles, in my purse, in the bathroom, EVERYWHERE. Its gone. And all I can think is that we did have two couples through the house.

Could people really be that awful. If you saw a nice ring on a counter, and no one was watching, would you grab it?

I hope not, but I've heard worse.

I'm crying, my sweet K is saying, "Its okay Mommy, we all feel a little nervous sometimes. We'll find your ring."

By the end of the night I've resigned myself to the fact that I've lost my ring, that some evil-doer has swiped it and am seriously considering tattooing a ring on my finger since I am clearly not destined to wear a ring.

At the crack of dawn, K comes into my room, pops on the lights and runs to my bed, "Mommy, I have to tell you something"
Me: "*Grumble*...(incoherent half asleep ramblings)"
K: "Mommy, look, I was tricking you and playing with my trains, and I looked, and there was your wedding ring"

And there it was. My ring. A kidlet (either mine or one of our passer-throughs yesterday) must have grabbed it off a counter and played with it and left it in the middle of K's train set. Best early morning wake up ever.

K you're my hero!

No comments:

Post a Comment