Friday, January 1, 2010

Resolutions


Ah, New Year's Day. A time to reflect on the year gone by, and to start making "resolutions" for the year to come. I'm not a big "resolution" type of girl. I think that despite best intentions, they are usually short lived and just set us up to feel badly.

Of course I've done them: "I'm going to lose weight" (the same 10 pounds I've been resolving to lose for the last 5 years). "I'm going to stick to a budget" (ask James how well that one goes). "I'm going to get organised" (well, maybe i'll throw that one on the list again this year...here's hoping).

In any case, this year I had a really interesting conversation with my neighbour (and friend) on the topic of resolutions. She said to me that this year she wanted to focus on changing her perspective instead of changing herself. What a great idea. I think a lot about how very blessed I am, a comfortable life, nice things, beautiful home, healthy, wonderful children. But still...I am always looking at what other things I need  want. Would an ensuite with 2 sinks really make me happier than the house with one? Probably not. Nicer cars, more expensive clothes, all these things are only going to make me less organised, less wealthy. So I think this year I'm going to jump on my neighbour's bandwagon and focus on changing my perspective. I am resolving to learn to appreciate the small things, the real things instead of the stuff. and in doing so I think that maybe I can also be more organised, more frugal, and most of all happier.

and losing 10 pounds...what the heck, I'll throw that on the list too.

1 comment:

  1. well said my dear. Your neighbor is a smart one. I also had a list, mine was about 30 items long. I decided to call it a goal list. They are smaller, more specific things and I've been crossing them off my list slowly, but surely. And it's only the 6th! I'm starting a class at Mount Royal tonight! Yeah. On with life!

    ReplyDelete