Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Disproving Darwin: Parking Lot Survival

What is is about getting a great parking space that makes us all feel so good? The intention is to go into a store and walk around, it can't be pure laziness that motivates us to get that spot. Is it really going to save that much energy to have to walk 4 car lengths instead of 6? 

But we all do it. We all want to win! To get up close, to get that perfect space. 

Driving an SUV in Calgary, I've definately had my parking lot battles. The spaces are just too small for the giant vehicles we all drive, and I've thought about cramming into a too-small spot, but reconsidered knowing full well that it just wouldn't work.

But on Friday I witnessed something truly mindboggling. Something so bizarre that it has made me seriously question the whole concept of "survival of the fittest". According to Darwin's theory of evolution, we are all the pinnacle of our species. Thousands of years of the survival of the fittest has brought to realization this generation. We are the best and brightest in the history of our species, all who have come before us have provided the foundation to our greatness. 

So what did I see, you ask?

Firstly, I was at Walmart (and I am a Walmart shopper too but really, we've all seen "People of Walmart").

I'm in my car, nursing the baby, when an enormous truck pulls in next to me. I'm bored, so I'm watching. The driver, CLEARLY does not have enough room to open her door. But she tries anyway. She's a bit heavy set to boot. So she cracks open the door, slips out a leg and an arm, and even though she's not going to make it, she's still trying. She starts heaving against the door until a single leg, arm and boob have made it out. 

Then it happens.

She glances over and our eyes lock.

She's busted.

So she ungracefully pulls her extremities back into her enormous truck, turns on the engine, and gets the heck out of there. 

So really, best and brightest of all of time? DId the energy saved in the 'closer space' really offset the extra effort of trying to get out? I don't know Darwin, I think this one would have given you a run for your money.

No comments:

Post a Comment