Sunday, July 3, 2011

K's New Room

Ah. Four months since we moved and we are finally trying to settle in. As we do most summers, I've cancelled our tv, so we've been spending more time doing things. But in the evenings, once the kids are in bed, I've been on the computer more than usual.

I was shown this awesome website, http://pinterest.com/. Its basically a social bookmarking site (like Digg), but its much more visual. When you come across some you like, you 'pin it' to one of your boards. It will "pin" a picture from that site and it links back tot he original post. I LOVE IT. Its given me some inspiration to get crackin on some crafty diy's for the kids room and the rest of the house.

When we moved in, we were able to pick two colors of paint. Most of the house is being, but one of the promises we had to make to K to get him excited about (yet another) move, is to have a blue bedroom. So both the boys rooms were painted in a fairly dark, muted blue. They love it, but its pretty blue. Things are required on the wall to tone it down. So where to start?

I started here:
I love love love this vintage inspired boys room. Its clearly got an aviation theme, but I've got a train buff, so here we go. First project to tackle is that fantastic map wreath on the wall. I found a tutorial, stole borrowed a 1994 road atlas from my parents, broke out the hot glue gun and ink pads and got cracking.

Here's what I ended up with:


We put the shelf that I painted for K's nursery underneath, and put it all in the entry to his room. Next on the list is redoing some of his furniture. Here is a sneak a peak of my inspiration.

No comments:

Post a Comment